The Story of Coconut

The Story of Coconut

To whom it may concern,

I'd like to take a moment to express my gratitude and exceptional appreciation to Danielle Levac and her husband Serge Guay for literally saving my Horse Coconut.

My 17-year-old gelding Coconut has been suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease for almost 10 years now. An unavoidable change in his environment (stable) and diet (from square hay bales to round bales) provoked allergies to dust. We put him on a several week treatment of dexamethasone sachets, which seem to help immediately. After moving him to an outdoors only boarding facility and switching him back to square bales, his symptoms seemed to fade for a while. Unfortunately, every year after that, they became more pronounced and the dexamethasone no longer helped. We started dex. Injections along with wetting his hay and when that no longer worked we switched to Predref. Next (always under the supervision of his veterinarian), we tried stronger long-term anti-inflammatories (Triamcinolone), which at first worked for an entire year. Each year after, the effect of the medication lasted for less and less time.

In Spring 2015, coconut suffered from a bronchial pneumonia and was given Uniprim on top of everything else in his system. I gave up riding him because he could not breathe standing in a still position. His stomach was constantly a balloon shape and he has a really hard time exhaling. Our last resort was the Flovent combined with the Ventolin treatment. We started the pumps in the summer of 2015.

I heard of Danielle and Serge’s hay processing from my veterinarian (Dr. Sophie Gattuso) I decided to contact them. At the time they were building a prototype of a smaller scale machine since the one they had was for their own personal use on their farm. With the consent of my veterinarian, Coconut completed the Flovent treatment and waited several weeks before starting him on the Nutri- Foin System.

I loved the idea of being able to treat my own hay without having to change my horse’s diet. I immediately saw results. I was never before able to give my horse any hay, which had not been soaked because he would immediately start coughing. He never coughed. I felt such relief! After only a week I noticed Coconut’s stomach begin to shrink and his coat began to shine. No more coughing, or wheezing, nothing. Best of all: no more cortisone or medications. I have been using my prototype ever since.

In November 2015, Dr. Gattuso came to examine Coconut and listen to his lungs. The verdict brought me to tears. For the first time in many years, there was no crackling and no visible (audible) inflammation. I will NEVER give any of my horse’s normal untreated hay ever again. Not after seeing the allergens and junk that comes out of untreated hay. No more wetting hay in freezing Canadian winters, no more dirty bathtubs to clean out, no more spoiled soaked rotting hay sitting at the bottom of the feeder.

Coconut is very grateful and so am I.

With gratitude,


(Photo credit : Katarzyna Okrzesik Photography)